From:
Diana Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diana Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:21:26 -0500

area who could help in treating Celiac, I received the following very
helpful advice:

Dr. Peter Green is a GI doctor and probably the
best person in the New York area for diagnosis.  I think he has a
nutritionist and other staff for follow-up.  However, you should be
aware that they are not holistic.  An acquaintance of mine who has
seen a naturopathic doctor for many years has an adult daughter who
was diagnosed as celiac by Peter Green.  This acquaintance was very
disappointed in the follow-up for his daughter as he felt there was a
lot more that could be done to heal the gut more quickly.

If what you want is a GI doctor for diagnosis and you do not want to
wait until May for Peter Green, I would contact Alice Dunnie Chenal
who runs a support group for celiacs in NYC.  She has a list of GI
doctors recommended by NYC celiacs. (SEE BELOW FOR INFO)

If you want a naturopath, you have to go to Connecticut or
Pennsylvania. They are not insurance reimbursable in NY.  In NY,
there are MD's  and DO's who practice alternative/integrative medicine
and are similar to naturopaths.  I have seen several of these
practitioners.  For follow-up, the person who was far and away the
most helpful and knowledgeable about celiac was a nutritionist, Mary
Beth Augustine, who is at the Continuum Center for Health and
Healing, an alternative center affiliated with Beth Israel and several
other medical centers.  Phone # 646-935-2220. (location: 5th Ave &
28th St)  Since she works with doctors at this center, she can order
tests (alternative and standard medicine) related to nutrition.  (The
MD's there sign for the tests.) She is very nice and a very caring
professional.

Several people I know (not celiacs) saw Leo Galland MD who helped
completely resolve health problems when standard medicine had
nothing to offer.  He, however, is no longer taking new patients.  He
has a young associate, Thomas Bolte MD, who sees new patients
and who is one of the recommended doctors listed on celiac.com.  I
definitely would NOT see him.  I saw him 3 years ago before I knew I
had celiac, and not only did he completely miss it, but he gave me
something that damaged my intestines.  Within 24 hours of taking it, I
developed severe burning pain in the large intestine that lasted for
months.  If I were litigious, I would sue him.  He did the Great Smokies
stool test and never bothered to tell me that there were red blood cells
in the stool. I did not find this out until I requested a copy of the test
results. He also lost focus and was always very late.

I also saw a holistic GYN, Allen Warshowsky, at the Continuum Center
and would not recommend him.  He is unpleasant, needs to feel he
knows everything and cannot tolerate it if you figure something out on
your own, is very competitive and has a one-size-fits-all approach.

The alternative MD who was most helpful is Jeffrey Morrison.  (Phone
# 212-779-1744 x122, location:  40 E 30th St.)  He is young, very nice,
unpretentious and knowledgeable.  Among other things, he gave me
IV infusions of vitamins and minerals which made me feel a whole lot
better.  He also helped me with severe sleep and hormone disruption
following the gluten challenge.

I also see an acupuncturist, Hong Jiang Tan, in Chinatown.  (Phone
917-237-1153)  Acupuncture is supposed to gradually get rid of food
allergies (of which I have many) and helps to heal the gut.  Dr. Tan is
the 4th acupuncturist I have tried and the best and least expensive
($30/session).  He correctly identified that my problems had to do with
my intestines and digestion before I even suspected celiac.  He can
tell a great deal from feeling your pulse which I find fascinating.  He
has helped me with various health problems, and I really feel it when I
don't go.

…

I contacted a member of the New York City Celiac Support Group
and got the following list of Gastroenterologists in NYC (spellings may
not be accurate as the info was relayed to me over the phone):

Peter Holt
111 Amsterdam Avenue
212-562-3679

Jerry Nagler