From:
Ruth Pope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 00:00:28 -0600

I have tried, over and over, in my Wellbilt (sp?) bread machine, to make GF
bread. AHHHH!! Each time it is a total disaster.  Bette Hagman's latest
book, the GF Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy, has directions for handmixing
bread.  When I first read the directions my response was what a pain, I'll
just do without bread or eat that really dry, yucky stuff from the freezer
case of the health food store where I shop (I'll refrain from actually
naming the manufacturer just in case anyone likes it).  Desperation set in
and I actually made a loaf of bread following the hand mixing directions.
My first attempt at the Lemon Buttermilk bread came out semi-edible.  A
couple of weeks later I tried again and VIOLA I had bread, good bread,
stuff I could slice and eat as a sandwich.  YUMMY!  The hand mixing is so
easy that I now wonder why I would even want to use a bread machine.  I
believe the whole trick is re-setting your mind that GF bread, before
baking, looks and feels nothing like regular bread, it's more like cake
batter.  However, it raises and bakes just like regular bread and, even
better yet, the taste it super!!!

So, for any of you having trouble creating GF bread with a machine, give
the handmixing instructions a whirl.  They really are easy after the first
try.

Good luck and happy sandwiching!!

Ruth Pope