Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 22:39:37 EDT

Listmates,

A big "Thank-You" to all who responded to my request for quinoa flour
recipes.

While surfing the net before I posted my request, I found a quinoa site and
requested recipes.  Today 13 pages of recipes arrived!  You can access this
company, Northern Quinoa Corp., at http://www.quinoa.com/.

Following is the summary of all the suggestions, e-mail links, and recipes I
received:

I just substitute a portion of the flour in a GF recipe with Quinoa flour.
It adds flavour and nutrients but when I used too much it seemed to be a
little gritty.  Good in pancake recipes too.
I have many recipes for quinoa at:
Alternative Grain Recipes: http://www.GFrecipes.com/
Don't know if this will help . . . try substituting quinoa flour for part of
another recipe.  Like if it says 2 cups rice flour, use 1 cup rice flour, 1/2
cup quinoa flour and 1/2 cup . . .oh say, maybe garbanzo bean flour.  Be
inventive, have fun.
I subscribe to a magazine called VEGETARIAN TIMES and their JUNE issue has a
whole section on Quinoa and cooking with Quinoa flour. They have a web site:
www.vegetariantimes.com.  You may be able to search for the following recipes:

Jicama-Quinoa Salad
Saffron Quinoa and Roasted Beet Salad
Mixed Berry Crisp (Excellent - I made it with GF baking powder)
Sweet Potato-Quinoa Cakes (I'm trying this one next)
Black Bean-Quinoa Spread
Quinoa Pilaf
Tropical Fruit Salad
Just thought I'd let you know that quinoa is not considered by all to be GF
(discovered this myself by reading the posts).  You may want to do a little
research before eating it - just to be on the safe side.  If you can eat it,
quinoa is a lovely grain.  I used to make a cereal from it.
I'm a list member and the webmaster for Quinoa Corporation.  (I have no
financial interest in Quinoa Corporation.  I asked them if I could volunteer
to do their website after trying their wonderful products.)  If you go to
http://www.quinoa.net/html/grain_quinoa.htm you'll find a bunch of recipes
using Quinoa.  I've got more new recipes to post, and will be doing so over
the next couple of weeks.  You might also want to e-mail Linda at
[log in to unmask] and request a copy of some of their quinoa flour recipes.

I've been using quinoa flour, flakes, and grain for almost a year.  The stuff
tastes great and doesn't make me sick.  (Thank god)  If you're into creating
your own recipes you can create all the same things you would bake using
flour by substituting quinoa.  I have a basic cake recipe I use which can be
altered to fit your tastes.  It's gluten free - lactose free - oil free -
salt free.

4 cups of quinoa flour
Note:
Quinoa has a rather unique flavor, you may want to experiment with various
ingredients until you find a mix your family likes.  I frequently use 2 cups
of gluten free flour mixed with 2 cups of quinoa.  Also, you can use steam
rolled quinoa flakes in your mixes to create great tasting muffins.  (Note:
You can substitute quinoa flakes for oatmeal to make great tasting cookies.)

My husband works for a catering company.  We created this recipe for his
work, while testing out ideas for gluten free cakes and muffins to be sold at
coffee houses in the area.  It's very forgiving and can be formulated just
about anyway you'd like.  You can add cinnamon, vanilla, or ginger to taste.
You can also add a cup or two of nuts or other ingredients (chocolate chips,
etc.) just prior to pouring it into a pan to bake.  Lastly, as you can see
this recipe is for a large restaurant size cake, Obviously it can be
halved.

3-5 eggs  (I use five, but it works well with less)
4 16 oz can of your favorite fruit (I use either peach or pear, you can
substitute apple sauce)
5 tsp baking powder (level teaspoons)
1 large box of jello mix (peach if you use peach, or any other flavor fruit)
1 can frozen fruit juice concentrate
Note:
You can use the following if you don't want to add frozen juice.
1/2 cup turbinado (raw) sugar (may substitute corn syrup)

Preheat your oven to 340 degrees.  Grease an angel food or bundt pan.

Using a blender, Puree the contents of your can of fruit.

Mix your eggs and pureed fruit together in a large mixing bowl.  Add flour
and fruit juice concentrate.  Mix well.  Add baking powder and mix on high
for at least two minutes.

Pour the mixture into your pan and bake for 50 minutes.  Test your cake's
readiness by placing a tooth pick or wooden shiskabob stick (my personal
favorite) into your cake.  When it comes out clean, the cake is done.

As a general rule I've found my gluten free cakes cook better in angel food
or bundt pans.  You can also use muffin tins and other small baking pans. If
you use a smaller pan reduce your cooking time accordingly.  Muffin or
cupcake tins take about 30 minutes to cook.  Flat 8x8 pans take a little
longer.  When cooking flat sheets, glass pans seem to render better results.

Gluten free mixes tend to take longer to cook in larger pans, and come out
raw in the middle and over cooked or burnt on the outside.  Cooking your cake
longer at lower temperatures in shallow or smaller pans solves this problem.
Also, once the cake looks done, it's OK to leave it in the oven for an extra
10-15 minutes with the heat turned off.  As I don't know how long your oven
keeps hot after you turn the heat off, make sure to check your cake every
five minutes or so to make sure it isn't getting to dark on top.

Good luck,  and happy baking,
http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/recipes/

There are some recipes at this site, but search the net for others ... Quinoa
can be used in a GF flour mix as you would white bean flour, etc., so
experiment and have fun, it is a very nutritious flour.  It is very good in
cookies and cakes as well.
I can recommend a couple books that include numerous recipes with quinoa
flour.

One is: Nicolette M. Dumke. Allergy Cooking with Ease (Lancaster, PA :
Starburst, 1992).  This includes recipes for cakes, yeast breads, cookies,
brownies, cobblers, pie crusts, even ice cream cones using quinoa flour. I
can't say that I've tried them all, and she tends to give lots of variants
using different flours (amaranth, spelt (YUCK!), and so forth).  Tends to
use unbuffered vitamin C crystals for leavening, so some people might
consider it a bit exotic.

Another is: William G. Crook and Marjorie Hurt Jones. The Yeast  Connection
Cookbook (Jackson, Tenn. : Professional Books, 1997).  I think I  would
recommend this book the most of the two.  It's designed specifically  for
candida overgrowth patients, but much of the food is gluten-free (not
totally, however: oats are permitted).  It has recipes for waffles, muffins,
"tortillas", and so on using quinoa flour.

There is another book, also by Marjorie Hurt Jones, The Allergy  Self-Help
Cookbook.  I own an edition from 1984 (New York : Wings Books),  that has a
lot of recipes using amaranth flour, and another flour that I  find useful,
white buckwheat flour (buy raw buckwheat groats--not kasha--and  grind them
yourself).  I'm only mentioning this book because I think there is a newer
edition, and I wouldn't be surprised  if the newer one added quinoa flour
recipes--but I'm only speculating about  that!

Hope this helps you  somewhat--maybe you can find the books on Amazon.com.

Everyone, thanks again and happy quinoa baking.  Let me know of your
successes.

Kathy Borner
Cottage Grove, Wisconsin