From:
Nancy Cahill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Cahill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:19:29 -0400

I guess I'm not the only one with this problem.  I received a wealth of advise.  I will attempt to summarize:

Most people said it was probably due to anemia or thyroid problems.  I was severely anemic and have difficulty with my thyroid...so maybe this is the answer for me.

Others suggested:
B-12 Shots
Nail oil each night
Glass of milk each day (I have tried this and my nails seem to be doing much better)
Zinc deficiency - may need biozinc tablets
Solaray HCI w/Pepsin and Betaine HCL
Shaklee B6 and gelatin tablets
Flax-seed oil

Several people mentioned:   hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) which after age 40
begins to affect most people (60% after age 50).  Low stomach acid means
you cannot properly absorb many important vitamins and minerals as well as
proteins and amino acids.  Combined with celiac disease, malabsorption from
low stomach acid gives you a double whammy.  A quick and simple test for
hypochlorhydria is:http://www.drdebe.com/BAKESODA.htm  If you have it, you will need to supplement your meals with betaine HCl and
enzymes plus a good multivitamin/multimineral supplement.  Search the
Celiac List archives and the web for more info on hypochlorhydria

A number of people said that nails do improve after being on a GF diet.  It just takes some time.

Thanks,

Nancy, MI