From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:48:50 -0400

Clarification about Unilever products:

After sending out the list of companies that list gluten one person wrote
me to say that Unilever told her a month ago that they had no standard
policy for all their brands. So she and I sent e-mail off. It turns out
that Unilever does have a standard policy but that it is to list the eight
most common allergens, which includes wheat. Nothing mentioned about rye or
barley. Here's their reply.

> Thanks for writing!
>
> The common allergens which we list on our labels, if present, are:
>
> Milk, Eggs, Fish, Shellfish & Crustacea, Wheat, Soy, Peanuts, Tree Nuts,
> Sesame Seeds, and Sulfites.
>
> We make every effort to stay informed about any additional ingredients
> that could be considered common allergens. Whenever possible, we try to
> avoid using materials that could be considered to be commonly
> allergenic,
> so that potential allergens are not included in categories such as
> "Natural Flavors."
>
> We hope this information is helpful!
> Your friends at Unilever Bestfoods

I also want to ask whether anybody out there really knows if rye or barley
are used as hidden ingredients. We all know that wheat is definitely found
in natural flavors or spices or modified food starch, but what about rye or
barley?

richard