From:
CurtissAnn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CurtissAnn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:07:15 -0600

Hello, Listmates--

I feel strongly enough to write over this one. I would like to point out that it is not only people with celiac disease who are treated in this poor fashion. I can recall eons ago, my grandfather was in the hospital for kidney disease for which he was undergoing dialysis, and was on a restricted diet. He was instructed to a great degree about what he could and could not eat. With every single meal he-- this older gentleman who still had a keen mind but failing body-- was brought all manner of foods he was not supposed to have at all. Now, that was over 25 years ago, and it is no better-- apparently it is worse! I'm going to step out on a limb and mention, as well, that the treatment may be one more discounting of people over the age of 40. I suspect such treatment may not go on with children. People do not stand for such behavior in regard to children.

I view the issue as negligence and incompetence of the highest order on the part of the hospital. If a person without CD was in the hospital for a heart transplant and was fed poison, the hospital would be held accountable. We must work to hold the hospitals accountable. We must work to educate.

However, in the meantime, we must also work to stay alive, so I do think the idea for Amy's and other foods a very workable plan.

CurtissAnn in OK