Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 2009 14:37:47 -0400

Sorry took so long I was on vacation, much needed after 3 weeks of
electrodes thats for dang sure.

Most people simple say it's a sensitivity nothing to do with Gluten. Here are
some other solutions and situations we encounter on or CD journey. Thanks
everyone for your feed back.

-

I have had to wear a TENS unit for the pain for the pain from my back injury.
I have had horrible rashes and etc from the electrodes.  Mine come from a
company called Tyco Healthcare.  They have been able to find a blue patch
called Superior Silver Unipatch that has blue gel which I guess is the adhesive.
This is the only patch that doesn't make me itch after I have had it on for
about 15-30 minutes.   Also they provide me with this Unipatch adhesive
remover which seems to help and the same manufacture makes this aloe vera
gel that makes it feel better.  I checked this all out several years back to
make sure it was GF before my allergist told me that I have a skin allergy to
wheat (which was not a surprise to me).

-

None of the ingredients contain or are derived from gluten. It is possible that
you may be allergic to one or more of the chemicals in the pads. Acrylates
(glacial acrylic acid) are fairly common allergens and Darocur 1173, a
photoinitiator which causes acrylates to polymerize may also be responsible
for your reaction.

Most likely you have had a plain old allergic reaction to one of the chemicals
which has nothing to do with celiac disease.

Potassium chloride, like sodium chloride, is a salt and has nothing to do with
gluten.

Joel Elias, PH. D. Chemistry

-

This type of rash happens to many.

Gluten is not the problem.

You are sensitive to something in the electrode chemicals.

Don’t worry.

-

This almost certainly had nothing whatsoever to do with gluten. Skin reactions
to electrodes, bandages or anything with an adhesive are not uncommon.
Your skin doesn't like the adhesive but that's entirely separate from CD.

-

My daughter does not have CD (I do), but she does have a lot of allergies and
had have Hodgkin's Lymphoma 5 years ago. During her treatment she became
sensitized to the adhesive in all kinds of medical tapes, even the hypo
allergenic paper tapes. She recently had a baby :) and long before the birth
she met with the anesthesiologist to discuss bandages and adhesives. The
only bandages she can tolerate are Johnson and Johnson (except for their
hypo allergenic paper tape which uses a different adhesive to which she is
sensitive). She lives in Jerusalem, and Israel does not carry Johnson and
Johnson brand. Her Dr gave her a list of bandages he might need and we sent
over an assortment. They used them to hold her IV in to hold the tape for her
epidural. all the nurses loved the way the Johnson and Johnson bandages
performed and wished they had them in stock for everyone. I know this
doesn't answer your question, but I just thought I'd toss it out there to show
that the adhesives can affect all sorts of people. I know as a person with CD
my skin is still very thin and sensitive to all kinds of things that never bothered
it before.

-

I had a similar experience..but it was the tape that held the leads that did me
in...upon rigorous, combative investigation, I discovered all the ingredients
came from China....and that checking with the FDA (they have to file with
FDA on any product) ..had the tape caught fire, ti would have required
HAZMAT teams....I don't think (or know ) if it was gluten...but it was
poison....I wrote hospital a long letter and they discontinued using it...