From:
Suzanne Akre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Suzanne Akre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:14:17 -0700

Thank you to all who responded. Here are the responses I received.

1. Depends on if he is stateside or overseas. I think he would not be able to serve. Because of the dietary restrictions. I have heard people say yes and no to that question. I currently work with someone who states no.

2. It is not 'by definition' disqualifying for the Navy. However, it is very difficult to comply with the diet on a ship or submarine. Cannot serve in combat.

3. I was informed by a Capt in the Air Force, who is a Nurse Practitioner and our support groups Medical Advisor (his daughter is Celiac) that it does in fact disqualify people from service. In fact, anyone currently in and that is diagnosed is discharged from the military.

4. I *think* the bottom line was that celiac would preclude joining the military.  But if you are diagnosed while in the military, they will work around the disease (for example, will not put you in combat.  The MREs aren't gf.)