From:
Miles Perlmutter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 00:18:53 -0700

I have been troubled by all of the messages going around regarding several
topics:

Firstly,
        I have checked out the P&G Web Pages for their products.  I have
found  located in each page a method of communicating questions to their
Customer Relations/Quality Control Departments.  This took the form of a
toll-free phone number and/or an Email address as well as snail-mail
locations.  I personally phoned six+ of their provided numbers as well as
some I had previously.  In EACH case, I was greeted by an individual that
immediately researched answers to my questions.  In ALL cases I was
apprised of which products contained/did not contain glutens.  This I might
add; even for products that are external use only such as Vick's VapoRub, etc.

        Pringle's have, to my knowledge for 7+ years, had wheat starch and wheat
glutens in all varieties of that product.

Secondly,
        Most companies will respond positively to nice people with a respectful
request for information.  Be NICE, Be PLEASANT, Be CONCISE.  As much as I
do not like it; companies do change their formulations for products and
seasonings.  We need to check on those products one-by-one.

Thirdly,
        There is NO reason to have concern over topical/external
products such as shampoo, Vicks, nail polish (as it relates to gluten
sensitivity), sun blocks, etc, etc.  If you have an allergy to
perfumes, other cosmetics, then there might be some concern; but, not
due to Celiac.  Celiac is a condition due to the systemic ingestion, of
food or other products being digested and going through the small
intestine.  Some with DH might find a sensitivity.  This would only be
the case if a product with forbidden glutens in placed into an open
sore, not closed skin in an area without lesions.

Fourthly,
   We need to work on better food labeling requirements.  We need to organize
and put into law via the FDA the regulation to require manufacturers to be
specific in ALL of their product formulations.  This would include primary,
secondary and tertiary levels of ingredients.

Thank you for reading this posting, be in good health
Miles Perlmutter