From:
Aggi-Rose Reddin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aggi-Rose Reddin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:29:57 -0500

Hoping someone with experience in interpreting test results is willing to
venture an opinion [realize it is not to be taken as medical advice:-)] My
now 13 year old son was biopsy diagnosed last Feb but is still not
responding as expected. He is 5' 11 inches tall & weighs 101 lbs in his
boxers! He did seem to be doing better by end of summer but has definitely
not had a good fall. The pediatric gastro doc & our pediatrican both have a
very narrow view of CD & are dismissive of my son's symptoms - thankfully
our GP has not given up in trying to figure out what's going on.However, her
own experience is limited so following a conversation with her this a.m. we
agreed it would be good for me to post a query here & she will see what she
can find out online as well.
OK, so
 this is what we're dealing with - my son's pancreatic enzyme levels
and his calcium level all came back on the low end of the reference range
but within it just the same. Lipase was 49 with ref. range 23-310; amylase
was 40 with range of 16-160 [could be wrong on that range] & I didn't catch
the calcium level - couldn't write fast enough!Everything that was tested
came back low end of normal. Also, the blood was drawn without any fasting,
in case that could be a factor.
Our GP is uncertain whether to try enzyme supplements or not - also what
dosage - as she understands there can be problems with over-reactions?
Help??! Aggi-Rose
Should add that my son has had no processed food since last June, when he
was diagnosed with several food intolerances, including corn, soy, casein &
rice. He is under a dietition's care & diet is relatively balanced.