From:
Angelica Tudini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 09:29:09 -0700

Maybe I summarized the answers to my questions too early and soon after
posting the summary I got different information with regard to corn
tortillas.

In my summary I wrote that corn tortillas shouldn't pose any problem. The
new responses I received point out that in fact  some brands of corn
tortilla are being made with non  GF products. It seems though that in
most cases they are ingredients that can be read on the label so we
should always read labels when buying tortilla and always make sure of
ingredients  when eating out in restaurants.

I also received an additional answer regarding  short term symptoms
related to eating small quantities of gluten.
The respondent said that our  list is not exclusively composed of biopsed
celiacs but also of self-diagnosed as "gluten sensitive" by just trying an
elimination diet after perhaps suffering gastrointestinal distress.
" I suspect there's a separate food allergy to gluten which both some celiacs
and non-celiacs have. Non IgE food allergies occur on this time scale. I
just went to a AMA press briefing on nutrition. Dr. Hugh Sampson from
Johns Hopkins talked on "Food Sensitivities: Fact vs. Fiction". With the
exception of young children, 25% of the population believes they have a
food allergy: fact here is 2%. This 2% is made up of the even shorter term
Type I Hypersensitivity Reaction ----wheat the best example-- and the more
complex ones that occur over the several days period. Sampson said very
little is known about the latter but that skin tests were useless for
either. (That's another way some "gluten sensitives" diagnose
themselves.)

In the local support group here recently we did a show of hands on whether
people had a short term reaction or not. 50/50 out of some 80---100 people
there to hear the group's advisor Dr Peter Green from Columbia University
talk. Dr. Green said he didn't understand that short term reaction but
that it wasn't celiac."

Thanks again to everybody
Angelica Tudini