From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2008 00:15:12 -0400

I just received this email from "onboard services dietary", for my upcoming Alaskan Princess cruise and my request for gluten-free meals. Sounds reassuring and informative. Thought I'd share. Of course, this email didn't address the accommodations at the lodges, where I'll be for a week before my cruise. I have found, across the board, besides pertaining to diet, that there is a communications disconnect between Princess' cruise ship service people and whomever is associated with handling the land tour (not the land trips off the ship, but actually traveling on land for a week). And so far, the land tour people have been much more gracious and informative. So I was pleasantly surprised to receive the confirmation of my diet for the ship.

I don't normally travel with sealed store-bought packages...so there rule about that means I'll have to put some sealed packages in my luggage. I always repackage store-bought stuff, to take up less room or be more protected from breakage. Oh, well. Can't have it all. Sounds like I really won't need anything on the ship anyway, but I've got flying to do afterward, and I need to have gf food with me.  (Won't it be nice when we can just take a pill?!) Lin

".....We want to thank you for choosing Princess Cruises. We are in receipt of a correspondence advising us of your dietary restrictions. I have noted your records and ordered gluten-free products for you. The gluten free products we are able to, and have ordered for you consist of; gluten- free bread, sweet cookies, crackers, flour, macaroni, and spaghetti. Please be advised this request can be accommodated in the main dining room only. You may bring onboard any store bought items. However, all items brought onboard must be sealed and originally packaged. We do not allow any homemade food products brought onboard. We can make also gluten-free desserts onboard.

Please be aware that it will be at your discretion to order meals as to your allowable diet. We do not designate gluten free meals on our menu, although the Maitre d' Hotel will be happy to assist you with selections that would be suitable for your diet. We can also prepare meals using non-gluten binding agents for you. The Head waiter will go over the menus with you in order to prepare your meals according to your dietary needs.
** It is very important that you contact the Maitre d' Hotel once onboard to discuss your special diet restrictions and to advise of any special preparation with your meals. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Again, I thank you for choosing Princess Cruises and we look forward to welcoming you onboard."