From:
Sue Foss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 07:54:23 -0700

Following is part 2 of the bread summary:

Chick Pea Chipatis
These are a flat bread - sort of like pita bread.  Best when served warm
with soup or stew.

1 ½ c Chick Pea flour, separated
1/3 c water
2 T Arrowroot Powder
2 T cold-pressed olive oil, separated
¼ t salt (optional)
PAM

Mix all.  In a large bowl, mix together 1 c Chick Pea flour, water,
Arrowroot Powder, 1 T olive oil, and salt.

Roll flat.  Roll into 8 balls of dough (1 – 1 ½ inches in diameter).  On a
sheet of wax paper, liberally sprinkle Chick Pea flour.  With the palm of
your hand, flatten each ball of dough into thin, pastry-like rounds.  Be
sure to flip the dough frequently while flattening it..

Fry bread.  Spray a large fry pan with Pam and then add a small amount of
olive oil (about 1 t); heat the fry pan until very hot.  Turn heat down to
med-high; heat each round of dough 2 minutes on each side.  The bread will
be warmed and lightly browned on each side.  Serve hot or store in the
fridge.

I do bake bread alot, I started out with Bette Hagman Books, she's the
'Gluten Free Gourmet' books.

There are 5 children and myself on gluten free diets, with those various
allergies/intolerances, except for the rice.

Bette Hagman's 'Bakes Bread' you will find several recipes that are rice
free.

To substitute Corn I use Arrowroot Starch Flour, for soy and the dairy issue
we use olive oil or safflower, and solid shortening we use Palm Kernel Oil.

To substitute for rice try a combination of Sorghum and Bean Flour mixed
along with Arrowroot.??  or seek at the gluten free books.

I just noticed that the Bette's flour mixes have
cornstarch. Is that off limits, too? If so, I think
you could substitute Arrowroot starch without a
problem.

The Four Flour Bean mix is needed for the Quinoa
Bread.

FOUR FLOUR BEAN MIX (makes 9 cups)
Garfava bean flour (2/3 part)   2 cups
Sorghum flour (1/3 part)   1 cup
Cornstarch or Arrowroot Starch (1 part)   3 cups
Tapioca flour (1 part)   3 cups

QUINOA BREAD (medium loaf)

dry ingredients

four flour bean mix   3 cups
quinoa flour   3 tablespoons
xantham gum   2-1/4 teaspoons
salt   3/4 teaspoon
unflavored gelatin   1-1/2 teaspoons
egg replacer   1-1/2 teaspoons
brown sugar   3 tablespoons
dry yeast granules   2-1/4 teaspoons

wet ingredients

eggs  1 plus 2 whites
margarine or butter  4-1/4 tablespoons (I've also used
grapeseed oil or olive oil.)
dough enhancer or apple cider vinegar   3/4 teaspoon
warm water (more or less)  1-1/2 cups

   Grease your chosen pan(s) and dust with flour.

   The water temperature will be different for hand
mixing and bread machines. For hand mixing have it
about 110 to 115 degrees; for your bread machine, read
the directions in the manual.
   For both hand mixing and machine mixing, combine
the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
   In another bowl (or the bowl of your heavy-duty
mixer), whisk the egg and whites(s), margarine, and
dough enhancer. Add most of the water. The remaining
water should be added as needed after the bread has
started mixing, either in the bowl of your mixer or in
the pan of the bread machine.
   FOR HAND MIXING: With the mixer turned to low, add
the dry ingredients (including the yeast) a little at
a time. Check to be sure the dough is the right
consistency (should be like cake batter). Add more of
the reserved water as necessary. Turn the mixer to
high and beat for 3-1/2 minutes. Spoon the dough into
the prepared pan(s), cover, and let rise about 35-45
minutes for rapid-rising yeast, 60 or more minutes for
regular yeast or until the dough reaches the top of
the pan. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 50-60
minutes, covering after 10 minutes with aluminum foil.

   FOR BREAD MACHINE: Place the ingredients in the
bread machine in the order suggested in the machine
manual. Use the setting for white bread with medium
crust.

P.S. I've found 400 degrees to be too high. I have an
old oven that I don't trust.

Good luck! If you would like more recipes just let me
know.