Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 16:53:30 -0800

At 01:08 PM 3/26/1999 EST, Alex Schwedack wrote:

>Anyone ever heard of this?
>My son had a biopsy for CD. It came up negitive, however it showed a small
>part of his Villi was flat. Also there was a part around this area that was
>red or inflamed. He was put on medication to cure the inflamation. But he did
>not want to take it because the medication was very strong. He has a heart
>condition, and is a Diabetic also. He gets very bad diarrhea attacks. on and
>off.

I sent this to the list because I too am interested in how the biopsy could
show that he villi were flat and still be considered negative for CD. I
thought the mark of a positive biopsy was flat villi. Have I misunderstood
something.

And Alex, if I were he and it helped to eat gluten free, I'd do it if it
harelipped hell and every doctor in the continental US. But if he won't,
that ain't your responsiblity (I'm assuming he's not a minor). I'd make the
suggestion then forget it. Not to suggest for a minute that that is what
you "ought" to do also.  -vance

>He is also on dialysis. He is not eating GF food, because he was told he did
>not have CD.
>
>Because it could be fatal for him to have the 4 hour treatment every other
>day,which is administered in the Hospital, he elected to have a tube inserted
>in his stomach, and he does his at home for 8 houys every day.
>His stomach is getting enormous. His doctors do not know why. No other
>dialysis people have this to his knowledge.

The enormous stomach sure sounds like problems with something, very
possibly wheat, whether he is celiac or not.