From:
"MARIO W. CAPRIO" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 1995 13:27:02 EDT

I recently went on a GF diet (six weeks ago) and have also experienced
weight loss (not entirely a bad thing, in my case).  I have a mild case of
Crohn's disease and have had enormous amouts of flatulance and frequent
urgent bowel movements that been in charge of my life for years.  My
abdomen has been distended and sensitive for quite some times.  (I am
already on a lactose-free diet.)

Within a week after starting the GF diet, I dropped 8 lbs, and the
distension deminished, the gas all but disappeared, and bowel movements are
normal.  That's too much weight to lose too fast if it's all fat.  After
all, I am still eating a good diet, feeling full, and am not exercising any
more.  My  guess is that I dropped quite a bit of water that has been
around my inflammed gut.  The weight loss is leveling off -- I'm now at -11
lbs.  Maybe that's part of what's happening.

The other part is that I am -- no way -- taking in the same number of
calories.  No cake, cookies, pasta, etc.; and I'm replacing them with fruit
, veggies, and more protein (remember a lot of carbohydrate foods are
vehicles for fats -- baked goods, in particular).  That's got to matter.

I'd love to hear some feedback on my water loss theory.  What do you think?