From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:40:30 -0400

Just a caveat.  I bought four boxes of the GF Hodgson Mill brownie mix at Walmart, and made each in a square glass pan, my usual brownie pans. (But usually, I use Pamela's.)

The box says to bake for 18-22 minutes, or if you want cakier brownies,add an egg to each, which I did and "Bake at 350 degrees for 20-24 minutes."

My oven works fine.  It's not the oven. And it was preheated.  It's a large oven, and I never have trouble baking several things at one time.    But I found I had to bake them for an ADDITIONAL approx. 20 minutes.  I set the timer for the initial 20 minutes. Checked them with toothpicks.  Wet.  Added another 10 minutes.  Wet.  Added another 13 minutes (to allow for the fact that I opened the oven twice.), and they were finally done.  So it was 43 minutes.   FYI, When I checked the first time, I rotated the pans that were on top and middle.

I should add that instead of warm water, I used warm, dilute coffee, and a sprinkle of cinnamon...You don't taste it, but it gives it a kick.

These were for my mom's 92nd birthday, in a nursing home.  Two batches for her friends in the recreation room, and two for the staff on her floor.  She didn't need gf, but I won't contaminate my mixer and pans with gluten.