From:
John Ripley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:09:39 -0600

In the US at least, it seems clear that "maltodextrin" on a label (without the source) is safe because according to labelling regulations, it must be derived from corn or potato.  If it is derived from any other source, it must be labelled accordingly, hence the "wheat maltodextrin" I found on the bag of chips.

Also of note, the only thing "maltodextrin" and "malt" have in common is 4 letters of the alphabet are not related to one another.  As most are aware, malt is almost always derived from a barley, which is a definite no-no for celiacs.

Thanks for the input,
John