From:
Karen M Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 13:36:57 +0000

How does one get past the feeling of hopelessness that Treasure talks
about, what with one cross-contamination story after another filling
this list? (My stupid mailer won't quote her post :-(

The answer that I've found is *very* simple, if not always easy.  I
watch what I put in my mouth. If I get something contaminated that is
not supposed to be, I complain, *loudly* to the shopkeeper or
restaurant involved....(she says, as she is about to start day 2 of
the ye olde brown rice, seaweed, acidophilus and steamed veggie
routine to *try* and put the digestive system back together after a
real mess last week :-(

For instance, I bought some allegedly GF muffins from a local health
food store last week - muffins I'd eaten in the past with no
problems. Didn't bother to read the label - I eat these puppies all
the time! Whammo! The stupid store changed the formula. I *know* the
flour mix they use is good (same one I use at home). Read the
ingredient list. Whoops. They're using a new soymilk to mix them with
(one I seem to remember having given up because, even though it
tasted good, it was barley-malt sweetened). Grrr... Call the store
and scream. Call the local celiac support group and kvetch. Secretary
at the support group said unprintable words and said it would be
checked that day (along with a message to the flour mix supplier to
let him know).... I don't think that chain will be selling those
muffins as GF for long :-)

This is what happens when I want someone else to do my cooking for
me. If I confine my eating out to relatively simple things, I'm fine.
I've been known to carry my own (safe) meals on outings, and to tuck
dried fruit and nuts in my backpack for longer trips. Oftentimes,
I'll duck into a market for fresh fruit and baby carrots while
husband and daughter grab a fast food meal - I'll be perfectly happy
with a lunch of 3 or 4 nice pieces of fruit instead of something more
substantial if I know I won't get sick from it...

It's also easier to stick to this if you treat yourself well... I can
remember opening my lunchbox at one graduate school outing I was on.
Every one else was eating fastfood sandwiches. I had packed (on ice):
hand-carved roast turkey, a steamed artichoke with curry mayonnaise,
a salad with balsamic vinagrette (home-made), popovers (again
home-made), fresh fruit salad and a brownie. Everyone wanted *my*
lunch ;-)  Trust me - it was a *lot* easier not to be envious of
their sandwiches when *everyone* wanted *my* meal ;-) ;-) While I was
envious of the time-saving of their "meals", I sure ate a lot better
that day ;-)

karen

You get past the hopelessness by being pro-active rather than
re-active. Trust me - it's a lot easier to relax when you're well-fed
with good-for-you food, rather than paying homage to the "porcelain
goddess"....
Karen M. Davis, Davis & Associates                             818-892-8555
The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your time waving your hands
& hoping when a rock or a club will do. (attributed to McCloctnik the Lucid)