From:
Bev Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bev Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 08:58:16 -0500

I asked about the following blood tests and if they could indicate celiac:

EMA - negative
IGG - 11 (normal)
IGA - 34 (normal is 0-25)

I didn't receive a whole lot of answers back on this one. The following
were my answers:

1.  that's identical to my blood tests.  biopsies came back negativve (not
long enough having problems).  gluten free has taken care of it all.  tell
him to do it.  end of story. =).  good luck as well!

2.  you're missing some of the main tests for CD.  I would check in with
one of the main celiac disease centers - like at Columbia Univ.  - to  see
what tests you need  to run.  Using IGG and IGA is the "old" way of
diagnosing.  There are better tests now.

3.  In my estimation that is enough

4.  My results were similar, except my IGA number was 29.  I needed to have
to EGDs, but I was eventually diagnosed with CD.  So, my answer would be
that yes he could have CD with those test results.  But, he should get an
EGD in addition to the blood tests.  (I am not an MD.)

5.  It is always difficult to know what to do in a grey zone. I have read
posts from people who say that their only positive test was IGA.  They
would go on a gluten free diet and symptoms would improve. Improvement in
symptoms would convince me that I needed to be off gluten forever. Is the
doctor planning on doing a TTg?  Is going in for a biopsy next?  I know
that there are doctors that won't recommend a GFD unless there is proven
damage to the gut.   I feel that if there is damage to the gut, one has
probably waited too long and suffered needlessly.

6.  Of course there is testing by enterolab.That is very controversial as
it is not mainstream or gold standard by current standards. I was tested by
Enterolab 4 mos ago as my doctors saw no reason to test me. Their solution
was to offer meds for depression and to tell me I was old (60).  My tests
were positive. I started on a GFD and I feel better and have more energy
than I have in 10 yrs. What a miracle.

7.  If your friend is having symptoms, and has a positive IGA I would think
he would want to try a gluten free diet to see if there is  improvement. If
he is going to have a biopsy, he sould eat gluten til the biopsy and then
go GF after. Even if the biopsy is neg, it may be wise to see if symptoms
improve on a GFD. The good news is that changing one's diet does not
require a doctor's prescription.

8.  Have him try the GF diet for 2 weeks and see if things improve
dramatically…
If that doesn’t help, then check out www.gardenoflifeusa.com and have him
try Primal Defense.

9.  While those results are not diagnostic of cd, IMHO they do indicate
that your friend should have the endoscopy. Tell the person to make sure
that the doctor knows to get ENOUGH samples and be prepared to have the
samples sent to another pathologist for review if the results come back
negative.