Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 15:32:07 -0800

Happy Thanksgiving season:

I just completed a phone interview with "The Happy Cook" in Lexington, VA
this morning and the topic was holiday celebrations. That interview with the
delightful Dolores Kostelni got me in the holiday mood, so here is a
delectable recipe for Caramelized Pear Torte which looks so elegant and is
the perfect fall dessert.

You'll like it so much that you'll want to visit my web site at
http://www.savorypalate.com to order your copy of Special Diet Celebrations,
which contains many other marvelous recipes for celebratory occasions... or
for everyday good eating! If you want to order a copy as a gift for a friend
or relative, we offer FREE gift wrapping. Just indicate your preference in
the Special Instructions section of the order form

CARAMELIZED PEAR TORTE
by Carol Fenster, Ph.D. - author, Special Diet Celebrations
reprinted with permission of Savory Palate, Inc.

3/4  cup brown sugar
2  tablespoons water
3  firm ripe pears
1/3  cup butter or oleo (room temp)
1  cup sugar
2  large eggs
1  tablespoon grated lemon peel
1  1/2 cups GF Flour Blend of your choice
1  teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2  teaspoon baking powder
1/2  teaspoon baking soda
1/4  teaspoon salt
1/2  cup buttermilk
1  teaspoon vanilla extract

   Preheat oven to 350°. In 10-inch cast iron skillet sprayed with cooking
spray, combine sugar and water. Bring to simmer over low heat, swirling pan
occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Cook for another minute, gently
swirling pan if sugar is coloring unevenly. Remove from heat. Let cool for
10 minutes. Mixture will firm slightly as it cools.
   Wash and peel pears. Cut in half, lengthwise; then cut in quarters.
Remove core from each piece. Cut each quarter into 3 uniformly-sized wedges.
Arrange pears in pin-wheel design, as close together as possible, in
caramel. Set aside.
   Using electric mixer and large mixer bowl, cream together butter and
sugar on medium speed until thoroughly blended. Mix in eggs and grated lemon
peel on low speed until mixture is very, very smooth.
   In a medium bowl, sift together flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking
soda, and salt. In another medium bowl, combine buttermilk and vanilla.
   On low speed, beat dry ingredients into butter mixture, alternating with
buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix just until
combined. Spoon batter gently over the pears.
   Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center
comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes. Loosen edges with a knife. To
invert torte onto a serving plate, place plate top down over skillet.
Wearing oven mitts on both hands, hold plate and skillet together and flip
so plate is on bottom; skillet on top. Remove skillet. Cool to room
temperature. Serves 12.

Enjoy!

Culinary regards and have a great November!
Carol Fenster, Ph.D.- President/Founder
Savory Palate, Inc.
8174 South Holly, #404
Centennial, CO 80122-4004
(800)741-5418   http://www.savorypalate.com
Award-winning Cookbooks for food allergies, celiacs, autism