From:
Kathleen Estes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 12:48:24 EST

When I originally sent in my question--the reason I was confused as one box I
had purchased had stated potato starch flour. What I purchased this time only
had potato starch on box    Then I started to think too much and confused
myself.  Guess it is dangerous to think too hard.
Thanks for all your replies.  Glad u all are out there to help.  Kathleen
Answers received --
Potato starch and potato flour are NOT the same thing.  Potato flour is
literally dried up whole potato, whereas potato starch is just the starch
part of potato.  Typically if a recipe calls for potato starch or potato
starch flour, use the potato starch from what I've read.  Only use potato
flour if it specifically calls for it (which is rare).  It does make it
confusing to say potato starch flour; the writer ought to say potato starch
if thats what is meant.  Hope this helps since if you used potato flour in
the flour mix it would not work.  Gloria

Potato Starch and potato flour are not the same and are not interchangeable.
 Bette's Featherlight mixture has but a Tablespoon of the potato flour in
 with all the other flours. Jim or Ann

Potato Starch and Potato Starch Flour are the one and same and they are used
 in Bette Hagmans' Books.

 Potato Flour is different and is what is use with the Feather Light GF flour
 Mix Bette Hagman suggests in some of her books, and requires refrigeration.
   Robin

It is required and potato flour is different than potato starch
Lily

I'm sure you've gotten plenty of answers by now, but potato starch and
 potato flour are definitely 2 different things!!  The potato starch is
 what's used in making the g-f flour mix and potato flour is a heavy flour
 used for baking potato breads and such.  Hope that helps.

 May God bless,
 Marci