From:
Abigail Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 18:18:08 -0700

Well, I struck out with Dannon.  Eileen Troise, the Consumer Affairs Manager
(914-366-9700) sent me a letter regarding their modified corn starch.  As you
may recall, an employee on their customer help line told me that the starch
was modified using vinegar.  I asked about finding out if the vinegar was
gluten free.  Here is her response:

"The modified corn starch which is used by Dannon is modified to enhance the
properties of starch.  The starch is modified using a variety of compounds
and this information is proprietary to the starch companies we purchase it
from.  We can assure you however, that regardless of which compound is used
to modify the starch, that compound is not present in the finished starch
product.  The starch used by Dannon is only slightly modified."

"The information is proprietary" means that they cannot give out the
information because their supplier has ownership of this information.  Also,
I don't know how she can claim the compound is not in the starch, when the
starch is treated directly with the compounds.

Where are our rights as consumers to know exactly that which we are
ingesting?  The consumer should have a right to know.  This letter is prime
example of how manufacturers "cop out" and refuse to get involved and know
what they are selling to the public.

Since I have rumbling stomach after eating all flavors of Dannon Yogurt,
except their plain flavor, I am no longer going to trust this product as safe
for me.

---
Abigail
St Paul, Minnesota

"To be nobody but myself in a world which is doing its best night and day to
make me everybody else, is to fight the hardest battle which any human being
can fight and never stop fighting."  e e cummings