From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 16:04:58 -0500

I'll start summarizing today, because I'm getting a tremendous response with my question about Weight Watchers.
(FYI: I'm not new to gf or celiac.I was diagnosed as a baby 60 years ago and was rediagnosed eleven years ago...but thanks anyway to those who offered generic assistance.)
Some said to cut out what I refer to as the four whites: flour (gf or otherwise), salt, sugar, and potatoes (rice, too, for that matter).
My husband and I are not bread, dessert, cake, or candy eaters, to any real degree. And I cook with little or no salt added.  We do, however eat potatoes at nearly every supper, which some folks said to cut out. I do sometimes substitute the cauliflower version of mashed "potatoes" or serve winter squash instead of potatoes.  Rice...we sometimes eat rice, but not as often as potatoes, and if we do, it's brown rice.
I use Smart Balance or olive oil, as needed, and Splenda instead of sugar. We don't eat fried foods or any pre-packaged stuff from the outside. We either eat out or I cook from scratch. (Eating out is high caloric unless you're careful!)
I did find a free website for logging in calories, http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Index.html, and when I log in, I can see that I'm eating between 700 (too low!) and 1600 calories a day. WW may not be the answer, but I'm grasping at straws at this point.
One said eat more turkey, chicken, fish...especially tuna (hey, watch that mercury, kid!), lamb, and veal, and less red meat and less dairy (another said more dairy!)

Quite a few listmates who responded said yes to success with Weight Watchers. They also like:

South Beach

Transitions Lifestyle System, designed by Shari Lieberman includes a low GI diet, easy to digest vitamins and supplements, and exercise. She has published books and the system is sold on-line.