From:
Mary Ellen Rothrock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 15:37:26 -0500

Thanks to all who responded on dining in the midwest. Red Lobster was
definitely favored of the franchises I'd mentioned. Comments:
Shrimp scampi is gf; ask that grilled meat or fish be grilled plain; a
favorite gf meal --grilled salmon, baked potato with butter, no rice
(mystery ingredients), salad, no croutons, no cheese, no dressing (you
have to watch -- sometimes it will ahve crouton crumbs on it, so I send
it back), steak with a baked potato, dinner salad and oil and vinegar;
fish grilled on a clean grill; salad without the coutons but with shrimp
on top.
*****
At Red Lobster, I go for boiled or broiled shrimp, fish, lobster, etc.
You can always get melted butter to put on the seafood. Baked potato is
fine, as is the salad, but make sure you request no croutons, and either
bring your own dressing or request oil and vinegar that you can put on
yourself. I've been there a number of times with no problems Yum!
***
Olive Garden:  At the Olive Garden, I do two things. Salad with no
croutons, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The other is minestrone soup.
My daughter worked at the olive garden last year. I found out that the
soup comes in a large bag. They keep it warm and just before using it
they add the pasta. Just tell them you want the soup wihout the pasta,
the one that is warming for the next batch. They also grill steak. They
serve it on bread so you must stress, NO BREAD.And of course there is
always a glass or two of wine.
****
Bob Evans:  The scrambled eggs and the bacon and the potatoes were all
fine;  Scrambled eggs, baked potato with butter. On the other hand,
you'd be better fed to go to Wendy's and have a taco salad without the
cheese[if lactose intolerant] or a small salad and chili.
A frequent traveler reports that she carries the two slice tapioca or
white rice bread from Ener G foods: The two slice packages, although a
bit more expensive, allow me to have options at a restaurant...Sometimes
when there is not a salad most restaurants I find take me really
seriously when I give them the bread to assist me in eating a healthy
meal. Several Bob Evans have made me a sanwich. I usually go for tomato,
lettuce and cheddar cheese.
****
Although several responders advised skipping the franchises and looking
for foreign or neighborhood restaurants, some liked the predictability
of the chains. What you work out as gf may work at different locations.
Recommended to add to my restaurant list: Chilis, Black eyed pea,
Macaroni Grill, Steak and Ale, Shoney's (senior menu: baked fish. Light
menu: salad bar). Lone Star. TGIF. Several recommended insisting on
plain food and sending food back if it arrives contaminated.
I'm heading for Red Lobster next chance I get!
                        Thanks to all who responded,
                                  Mary Ellen Rothrock