Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 14:04:39 -0500

Thanks to all of you who responsed to my query on G/F pain medications
for post-surgery pain.  I'm feeling much more confident now about
dealing with the pain (minor we hope) from it.  Several people also
asked about medication for migraines which I mentioned in my post.  I
will try to summarize information on that topic seperately, as I'm still
looking into connections between celiac and migraines.  But the short
answer is yes--there are both preventative medications and pain
medications that are GF.

As with all things it pays to double check with the companies, as
"starch" is often used as a binder.  Some corps.  do state if its
cornstarch etc.  however, as with many things, several manufacturers
have expressed some concern about their ability to confirm the status of
materials they receive from other suppliers.  Remember that medications
can be formulated by several companies with some ingredients (like the
binders) being different so ask your pharmacist to check or call the
company yourself if your dealing with an over the counter medication.
This can take some patience, that last time I requested a medication
check by my Dr. and Pharmacist, it took them a couple of days and they
ended up changing the initial prescription to something that was GF.

"Due to the conflicting information about otc pain
medications, I turned to Stokes pharmacy in
New Jersey.  They are a compounding
pharmacy very familiar with CD.  They made
capsules of straight acetominophin (sp?)  (the
stuff in tylenol) to equal extra strength tylenol.
It has been fabulous to have in case of
emergencies and I don't have to worry about
ingredient changes etc.  They can do this for
almost any type of medication."

Percocet/ Roxicet, Lorcet, Ultram are all known to be GF (although there
were cautions that the generic was gf, but formulations by other
companies should be checked.  Naprosyn, also a prescription med,
anti-inflammatory type, is also GF as is Tordal.

K-Mart's Tylenol and regular Tylenol were mentioned by a number of
people as being ok.  All Walmart over the counter pain meds (tablets and
capsules) are GF as well.

Several also mentioned that Tylenol #3 (with codiene) caused trouble.

All Bristo-Myers products are GF.  These include Excedrin products,
Bufferin, Alleve, etc.  The tel. # (in the US) is: 1-800-468-7746.

Thanks again.

Lisa Symons
Falls Church, VA.