From:
Harlene Caroline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 06:50:47 -0500

The following is a summary of the themes/ideas in repsonse to my
questions about lymphoma risk and organizing your life as a new celiac.
In addition to the advice duplicated here, there was lots of
encouragement and understanding which I thank you for.  My apologies for
not responding to everyone individually but I had about 50 replies. If
anyone else who is new would like more specifics, please email me.

There were fewer responses to the concern about lymphoma risk due to
eating gluten while unaware of diagnosis.  All reported getting the same
response from their own doctors that the statistical likelihood is so
small, testing is not worthwhile.

1) Strong universal support for getting a bone density test.

2) Find and join a local support group; the support of joining this
list; use of chat rooms for support.

3) you will feel better eventually if you stick to the diet but it takes
time.It could take 6 to 8 months before your intestines heal and then
you will feel great. (others mentioned it taking up to a year or more
before they felt better) Management of CD comes with alot of time and
trial and error. Have patience with yourself.

4) In hindsight, the best thing I did for myself as a new celiac was to
go to a conference.

5) I would look for the best gastroenterologist you can find who
understands celiac.

6) Get one or two basic cookbooks (Bette Hagman and Carol Fenster most
often mentioned)

7) Read Against the Grain by Jax Peters. I strongly endorse this.  I
had already gotten this book and have found it one of the most helpful
resources for new celiacs.

8) "If I were starting a gf diet now, knowing what I do, I would
eliminate all foods except fresh meats and fresh fruits and vegetables
for a couple of weeks (happens to be the basic Atkins diet) and then
begin introducing grains and packaged foods one at a time. That way I'd
know exactly what I could & couldn't eat. Besides, starting like this is
the easiest way to be sure of eliminating all gluten from the
beginning."

9) Variations on simplicity:  My best advice for anything is KISS, Keep
It Simple Stupid.

10) Use of the Web and/or mail order for supplies and information. I
think most of them are known to old hands so I won't repeat them, but
email me if you want a list.

11) 2 people emailed a long letter which they send to all first time
posters filled with useful information.  Those of you who are also new
can use this as a reason to stop lurking and post. ;-)

12) suggestions on setting up a gf kitchen

On the vitamin issue, many do take a multi-vitamin. My comment:  There
is a problem with multivitamins for those of us who have known
deficiencies and are still recently diagnosed. Even in those with
healthy villi, calcium inhibits the absorbtion of iron. Therefore, for
maximum effect it is preferable to take those supplements separately and
as far apart as possible.  Some vitamins or minerals are better
absorbed  on an empty stomach; some are better with meals.  You lose
control of this when you take a multivitamin.

Harlene