From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:20:52 -0800

Hi Listies:
I guess the point of this posting is that caution is always called for, and that the label or the claim, or whatever SAYS that it is gluten free is not necessarily the case.
Believing it is a good idea to support regular supermarkets stocking GF items, I bought a box of BPGourmet "Smarter Carb" Chocolate Fudge Chip Biscotti from a newly opened chain market in NYC.  Though the product is conspicuously labeled Gluten Free  I became very ill, and have so far been unable to locate the manufacturer to check on what might be the offending ingredients.   I miscopied the phone number from their website: www.bpgourmet.com and upon consulting 411 listings was told there is no such party in Hauppauge, NY.  After rechecking the number on the website my call yielded a computer voice mail system:  "The party you are trying to reach...."
This happened a week after trying Westbrae canned organic black beans, which I researched in the archives and understood to be safe, only to become ill from that, also.
Nancy in nyc