From:
Jody McCain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jody McCain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 23:28:42 -0500

I was just recently diagnosed with Celiac and have been overwhelmed by
trying to learn all I can.  There is one area, however, in which I've
found some disagreement and I wondered if someone could help me.  Do we
need to avoid skin/hair care products (soap, body wash, moisturizer,
cosmetics, shampoo, hair spray, etc.) with gluten in them?  For me, the
butterfly autoimmune rash has come and gone but I've only been GF for 1
month and have goofed a couple of times and had a bit of gluten.  Prior
to my diagnosis, I could go months without the rash and I've been using
the same skin/hair care products for 2 years.  I assumed that you had to
ingest gluten internally for the intolerant reaction to occur.  I
suppose you could "ingest" lipstick and maybe even moisturizer but am I
getting carried away here?  Any thoughts?

Jody