From:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2006 16:50:40 -0400

Hi Everyone!

I thought I would share with you a new milestone in my life as a celiac.
I'll need to give you a little background and then I know you will fully
appreciate my story.  Well, about two weeks ago I caught a virus/bug.  As
you probably know, we never know at first is it a virus or a gluten
reaction.  As the week unfolded, I knew it was a virus, as I was not
recovering even though eating only pure GF foods.  So to help me, I made
some chicken and rice soup.  Well, I then get a gluten attack (because of
either chicken or the rice contamination) and add abdomen pain on top of
everything else.  So, for the past two weeks I have been battling a virus
and a gluten attack.  Not a fun situation!

Well then comes the weekend and its sunny and warm!  Hurray and since I’m
starting to feel better, I proceed to spend yesterday doing yard and cement
work as well as washing my car!  It was a great and productive day.
Although, I think I pushed myself a little too hard.  Needless to say I
woke up today extremely sore as in my muscles do not want to move.  I was
also up all night coughing from congestion.  Then I lost an hour due to day
light savings plan.  So, today at about 2pm I started to panic.  I hadn’t
even thought about my food for the week and as a celiac, this is a huge NO
NO!!!

I mustard up all the energy I can to make it to my Harris Teeter and with a
skimpy list and not much thought about the week, I get in my car and
drive.  This was a first for me.  Well, I go to the produce section and
pick up my veggies and fruit.  These are my regulars for lunch – salad with
veggies and dip.  Then, oh no, what do I do for dinner and breakfast.
Next, I go to the meats and pick up some cube steaks.  Then to the soup
aisle and it was so nice to pick up several cans, which were all clearly
marked under the new labeling law!  Yeah, I think, and even found a can of
Progresso New England Clam Chowder (contains: clam, milk, soy, tuna and
cod).  I haven’t had this in years!

Next, I head to the frozen aisle, the pain must have gone to my head – was
I really expecting to get something here?  Well, all I can say is - I LOVE
this NEW LABELING LAW and I LOVE HARRIS TEETER!  There I found, Ore-Ida
Tater Tots (contains: Soybeans), which I will have for breakfast with some
melon.  Then, in the frozen dinner sections there was Amy's.  For those of
you who don't know, Amy's has numerous products clearly marked "Gluten-
Free".  You need to be careful since not all of her products are GF.
Anyway, Harris Teeter apparently has started carrying a full line of her
products because I picked up "6" different kinds of Mexican and Indian
dinners.  All are clearly marked "gluten-free". How exciting is this?

This shopping experience almost had me crying.  It took me back to when my
life was very busy, just like now, but somehow I never felt it because I
never had to spend so much time planning for, thinking about and cooking
meals.  Today’s experience was absolutely too good for words!  It also
tells me how grateful we all must be for the new labeling and the recent
media blitz on celiac.  All of these initiatives are beginning to enhance
our lives beyond measure!

Remember, Dr. Fasano was instrumental in getting the labeling law passed,
is highly active in increasing awareness and is on the brink of finding a
cure.  So, if you missed my message the last couple of days (it may have
been lost in all the ads), please go to his donation page and give him your
thank you gift today! http://tinyurl.comzt2gj

Life keeps getting better!

With Warm Regards, Janet Kline
Charlotte, NC