Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:55:17 -0500

Hello All
Since going GF about 9-10 months ago, I have not cheated ....(knowingly) or
been out to eat much at all. I have only ventured to Austin Grill a few
times, and one or two other places with giving them strict guidelines and
rules for everyone to follow...(ha ha).

I am not Celiac but tested very gluten intolerant in many tests. I am not a
the type to want to sit for 10 minutes and explain in detail 100 things for
a waiter or chef to abide by, it is painstaking and usually really annoys
the people you are with. (I know I know...it is a necessary evil).

HOW CAREFUL ARE YOU? If you are just gluten intolerant...will you randomly
go somewhere to eat, and trust that if someone says they can make you a
plain chicken breast in olive oil and garlic, that it is okay? Do you
always always call the place first and go through the whole song and dance?
Do you trust that if you go to a Thai Restuarant and they say it is 100%
rice noodle ..it is? I really want to start eating out a bit, on occassion
and can't always plan ahead. I have other health issues that usually make
my eating out impulsive...(meaing it is hard for me to get out due to
vertigo, so I may end up at a restaurant on a whim on a good day) and not
have had the time/chance to call. CAN I venture out more and do I need to
obsess about telling each detail to the cook, waiter....bartender, dog, cat
(HA HA)? Would you feel comft going somewhere you did not know and trying
to just get a plain dish...? I am mostly vegetarian,,and only due
occassional chicken..so it seem extra hard. Seems it would be easier if I
ate meat...but I wont. Sorry this is so wordy, but I just wanted to vent
and see what you all thought about how careful you are.

IF YOU ARE CELIAC and very very reactive, this post is not necessarily
directed at you. I am more curious about the Gluten intolerant people..and
people who dont react immediately. I will always be VERY careful, but
wonder if I also am being too SCARED to go out....

Thanks for letting me vent, ask, etc. YOU ALL ROCK! HA HA
redcat
Baltimore