Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 22:49:35 -0700

Hello Listmates,
 What's worse than a gluten attack for a celiac?? A gluten attack while
on bed rest in the hospital!! Oh brother. I fell ( well actually did
several cartwheels) while skiing and fractured #1
lumbar......compression fracture of my back. I was in my local hospital
for several days and had allot of trouble with the gluten free diet. My
family made sure the nurses knew and that it was written down where it
should be......that I was a celiac. And in fact I work at the hospital
as an RN and am known by most of the staff......and they are used to my
diet.....etc. I was on clear fluids the first few days......and demerol!
The first meal I am finally allowed to eat........I ate........and got
very sick. The same thing came up for supper and fortunately my husband
was there to intervene. Very painful getting up every hour to go to the
bathroom with crutches. The next day I asked to talk to
dietary.......and a very young lady comes up. She argues with
me......says that the lunch had to of been completely gf....tho admits
that if there were mashed potatoes on the tray that they would of been
instant ones.......and that she doesn't actually  know allot about the
diet. Yikes!! A dietitian saying that!!
  Anyway I found very good gf bread and muffins were served. Lots of
fresh fruit. But when it came to the not so obvious ...........they
didn't have a clue...like the instant potatoes. Beware........and try to
keep a family member there at meal times to monitor things being served
you ......especially if you are on any drugs that make you sleepy etc.
Thanks for listening.          Dianne in B.C.