Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:58:27 -0600

Most everyone has "Joy of Cooking" cookbook at home.  Just follow the recipe
for crab cakes, substituting gluten free bread crumbs (which can be made
easily by leaving out your bread overnight and crumbling or even a fresh
loaf sliced and toasted).  The only other change I had to make was adding
almost no milk product (in my case I use either soy or almond).  If you feel
it's not moist enough, add more egg, not milk.  Follow the other directions
to the letter and you can't go wrong.  I have tried many recipes for crab
cakes since going gluten free 4 years ago as it is one of my favorite
comfort foods, and Joy of Cooking is tops.  Big tips:  make sure you
refrigerate the mixture before you form them into patties for the
recommended time (2 hrs) and fry them in a good amount of olive oil brought
up to temperature before you place the patties in - you want to hear that
oil sizzle when you first place them in, this helps hold them together.  Use
fresh wild lump crab meat already cleaned and drained, comes in a container
in your fish section of the grocery store.  If they don't carry it, start
asking for it, that's the only way you can get your grocer to carry products
you like.  For those who do not have Joy of Cooking cookbook let me know and
I could post to the list if enough people asked.  By the way, I plan on
making these for Superbowl Sunday along with other snack type foods - they
taste fabulous warm or room temp too.  Good eating, Dorina, near Galveston,
TX [log in to unmask]

*******
*******