From:
Susan Pieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:45:10 -0600

As one of the NM celiacs, I'm extremely excited about the CSA convention in
Albuquerque. If you plan to come, here are some tips:

1) Albuquerque definitely has aLtitude! If you're flying, be prepared to
have your deodorant top really fizz when you take it off! Also, take a
little time to get adjusted to the altitude. Staying hydrated helps, though
you may get a headache on the second day. Adjust your activities
accordingly.

2) It's really dry in NM -- humidity, what's that? Follow same advice as in
#1.

3) If you're driving, check the traffic situation via
http://www.thenewmexicochannel.com/traffic. They're working on the
intersection of I-40 and I-25, so it can be a little slow, especially
during rush hour.

4) You can sunburn easily at ABQ's altitude, so if you're going to be
outdoors, use sunscreen.

5) Enjoy the wonderful, crisp, cool air in the evenings/mornings and the
way the Sandia Mountains turn red during sunset. If it's cool enough, you
may get to smell pinon smoke in the air -- one of the best smells ever!

6) Remember, the state question is "Red or Green?", followed closely by
"Beef or Chicken?" Of course, this has to do with chile (note spelling!!)
dishes. Red chile is generally hotter, at least in southern NM. I'm sure
the Albuquerque hosts will be able to direct you to g-f Mexican food. In my
part of the state, they tend to use flour in their enchilada sauces. You
could get lucky with tamales or chile rellenos.

Also, you may see green chile roasters out in front of the grocery stores.
Stop and take a whiff!

7) Have an absolutely wonderful time!

Sue

Susan Pieper
[log in to unmask]   / Las Cruces, NM

Susan Pieper/Las Cruces, [log in to unmask]