From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:33:51 -0700

Hi Cerealphiles!
My celiac daughter asked if we could buy some Captain Crunch so I asked
everyone if it is gluten free.
Here are the answers:

She may want to try  EnviroKidz brand. They make a gf cereal that tastes
just like Captain Crunch. It's called Gorilla Munch and it's sweet,
delicious and GF. I believe it may be organic too. Here is the link to
their web site if you'd like more information: http://www.envirokidz.com/
****************
Any North American oat supply is contaminated with up to 1% wheat or barley.
This is industry standard, and accepted.

No offence, but if your daughter is celiac, you are opening her up to
further damage.

The only oats which are 'supposedly' gluten free come from Ireland
(McCann's), and they do not guarantee 100% gluten free status.  They closed
down a plant a while back due to contamination.  These oats are expensive,
and not used in North American cereals due to price.

We have done a great disservice to people telling them Oats are safe.  Not
all oats are safe, and there are those of us who believe there is no such
thing as safe oats.  All that aside, there are no uncontaminated North
American Oats.  Please do your research, it could save your daughter's
health down the road.
***************
My 2 celiac kids eat Captain Crunch 1-2 times a week.  Their blood tests
have always come back normal and they have no reaction.
Good luck!
****************
since the company does make many other gluten containing cereals there
is a high chance for cross contamination. I would avoid it to be safe,
as yummy as these cereals are they aren't worth getting sick over.
****************
Most sugary sweet cereals that are on the market have malt flavoring which
is made from barley which is a no no for celiac folks even if they can have
oats.
****************
I don't really have an answer for you but was wondering how old your
daughter is? Mine is almost 4 and I would love to try McCann's oatmeal
on her, but figure I will wait until she is old enough to decide she
wants to risk it. We eat gluten-free from McDonalds, Taco del Mar, PF
Changs, etc and she never has any kind of reactions at all, so I am
assuming she's not ultra sensitive since she is able to eat food
prepared in places where there is gluten.

She does east Cocoa and fruity pebbles just fine as well. Those are also
a special treat and quite nummy!
*********************
You'll probably get lots of emails telling you the same thing.  Oats are
safe, it's just that they are contaminated with wheat from the farming
process, is my understanding.
********************
Hi,
I live and a very strict GF diet and am also able to eat oat, infact i love
oatmeal. I've never checked capt. crunch or any of the other name brand
cereals. If your daughter wants to eat cereal i would suggest checking in
to GF cereal. I've tryed several that are really good. Fred Meyers and some
Safeways carry cereal.
Hope your daughter is able to find something safe that she likes.
**********************
she may not obviously react to oats, but trust me, she is reacting.  It has
gluten and she's building up a reaction and runing her gut.    YOu want to
risk her getting colcon cancer?
***********************
no I do not believe it is
***********************
If Quaker cannot get uncontaminated oats from the field into plain oatmeal
from the field how can we expect oats that go farther down the production
line to be safe...

I personally wish they had left the oatmeal door closed.  Doctors who are
informed enough to recommend oats to patients should also be informed
enough to do antibody testing before & after oats are started to make sure
the patient is not reacting, even if there are no physical symptoms.

If you daughter wants to eat oatmeal, then she should make hot oatmeal from
something like McCann's that has a risk of contamination, but not known
contamination like Quakers....
**************************
My daughter has absolutely no reaction to oats or to the type of cereals you
describe. She has major reactions to gluten otherwise and they are
immediate.
***************************
My 19 yr old celiac daughter recently began eating oats after 2 years oat
and gluten free. Unfortunately she does not get a clear reaction to gluten.
Captain Crunch does not cause her any known problem.
****************************
MY TWO CHILDREN EAT THEM WITH NO PROBLEM. I GET THEIR BLOOD TESTED EVERY 6
MONTHS.
  ****************************
No problem.  Have a great day!
****************************
Envirokids makes g.f. cereals like that. (sugary sweet) Don't know if you
can get them where you area....
****************************
I've been eating Captain Crunch for 2 years now (since being diagnosed)
and only seem to have problems if I do it daily over an extended period.
I know that we probably shouldn't, but so far so good!!
*****************************
My husband really likes gorilla munch and choco something or other its
like chocolate rice krispies. They are at most health food stores and
some main grocery stores its good and decent priced for celiac stuff.
******************************
Actually my son can't tolerate oats but we have found some equally good
"snacky" cereals.
Top of the list is Panda Puffs (in the health food section), they are like
Kix with corn only and a great peanut taste.  My son also likes the Fruity
Pebbles (if cross contamination is an issue, might want to check with the
company).  Also, some of the generic brands of Corn Pops do not have wheat
starch.
******************************
fruity pebbles and cocoa pebbles are gluten free if you were looking for
other sugary cereal ideas, not sure about hte c. crunch,
******************************
eat oats all the time but not American oats which are used in a lot of
products.  I use Old Wessex (made in Scotland) and McCann's Irish Oats
(made in Ireland).  The problem w/ American oats is that they contain a LOT
of wheat.  Quaker wrote to its suppliers and said they'd never seen more
foreign matter in the raw product (rocks, dirt, etc.) including other
grains.  American growers grow all the grains and they get mixed up bacause
of their shared equipment from harvest to market.  My daughter ate taco
meat that had no wheat but just "oat groats" and I could not believe the
gastrointestinal distress which followed.  That was in the beginning when I
thought oats would be ok for her.  I found out otherwise.  She eats the
oats I mentioned w/ no problem.

If your daughter wants sweet cereal EnviroKidz made by Nature's Path makes
a pretty good "junk" cereal...Amazon Crunch (like the Cap'n Crunch balls),
Panda Puffs (peanut butter), Koala Krisps (chocolate).  Theyr'e not nearly
as exciting but we just had to say good bye forever to Oreos, the old junk
cereals, flour tortillas, donuts, etc. as we knew them.  Sad but we just
remind ourselves that they had no nutritional value whatsoever, (we'd
rather eat a Snicker bar or a good candy bar!)!  But boy do I miss the
shredded roof of the mouth feeling after eating a big bowl of Cap'n
Crunch!  LOL!:)

Thank you for all your replies!

Celiac best,
Susan