From:
Shelley Case <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shelley Case <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 07:43:39 -0600

Here is a summary of information about spices, herbs and seasonings from
my book "Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide":

Pure spices, herbs,and seeds do not contain gluten (e.g., basil,
oregano, ginger, etc.). However, you need to be concerned about
"seasonings" which are a blend of flavoring agents (e.g., spices, herbs,
protein hydrolysates) and are often combined with a carrier agent (e.g.,
salt, sugar, lactose, whey powder,
milk powder, cereal flours and starches). In Canada and the USA,
seasonings do not require a declaration of its components on the label
so it is important to contact the company about the specific components
in the seasoning mixture. One exception - in the USA, whenever the term
"seasoning" is used in the ingredient statement of a meat or poultry
product, its components must be identified as a sublist.

In researching information for my book, I checked with the major spice
companies in Canada and the USA such as McCormicks and they indicated
that all their spices are gluten-free but some "seasoning blends"
contain wheat.

Also, in response to the FDA (USA) and Canadian Food Inspecition
Agency's recommendations for more specific labeling of foods causing
allergies and sensitivities, many companies (especially the larger ones)
have already or are in the process of making major changes to the
labeling of their ingredients. It is now more common to see the
components of ingredients (e.g., modified starch, starch, flavorings and
seasonings) being declared on a food label. The saying "we've come a
long way baby" is true but we need to continue to lobby for mandatory
labeling regulations and not just "recommendations"!

Shelley Case, B. Sc., RD
Consulting Dietitian, Case Nutrition Consulting