From:
Stacey Nagel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 16:39:27 -0400

My thanks to the many responses I got both looking for and sharing
solutions to my matzoh ball dilemma.  Some suggested products which may be
hard to find in general, but are usually available at a Kosher butcher or
supermarket if you're lucky enough to live near one.  I went to one this
week and was able to stock up on canned soups, mixes, dressings, etc.  that
are Kosher for Passover and gluten free.  One person did have a box of
Carmel Potato Pancake mix, which I later found as well.  Here are some of
the responses I got.

You can use the Manischewitz Potato Pancake Mix, as well.  Both boxes are
only 6 ounces.  I have a box of the Carmel, and the recipe that the List
member was talking about, I believe, was the Potato Dumplings recipe.  It
reads as follows:
Beat two eggs well.  Mix with 12 oz. cold water and then add contents of
bag slowly, mixing well.  Let mixture stand or refrigerate for 15 to 20
minutes.  Form dumplings to size desired and drop in lightly salted boiling
water and cook at rolling boil for 20 minutes.  They can be formed and
steamed in a double boiler until tender if desired.  Excellent served with
soup, pot roast, turkey, chicken, sauerbraten, just about any kind of meat
with gravy. (ed.  I bought a new box this year and in addition to the eggs
and water the recipe also includes 3/4 cup of cake meal(which isn't gf) -
you would need to substitute.  Any ideas on a good substitute?

The Gluten free Pantry Companion
Connie's Un-Matzo Balls
4 eggs
3 TBSP rendered chicken fat,softened*
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1 cup instant potatoes
4 TBSP chicken stock

*if starting with homemade soup, scoop the fat from the top of chilled soup

1. Beat eggs with chicken fat

2. Combine egg mixture and salt, xanthan gum and instant potatoes.
Add chicken stock and chill for 20-30 minutes.

3. Wet hands. Use teaspoons to help form rounded balls and drop onto a
plate or use an ice cream scoop to scoop mixture onto plates.

4. Steam balls on a steaming ring in a wok. (to make a quick steamer:  Use
a large skillet that's fitted with a cover.  Fill skillet with about 3
inches of water.  Bring water to a boil.  Set a clean tuna can, or English
muffin ring in the middle of the pan.  Set plate on ring and cover
skillet.) Allow balls to steam, cover for about 20 minutes.

OR Drop un-matzo balls into simmering chicken soup and cook covered for 20
minutes.  (I use boiling water with gf chicken bouillon cubes.)

Recipe notes that better results come from steaming first and then adding
balls to soup.

Here's an easier solution....buy Peskaz  brand (Brooklyn, NY) Pesach crumbs
(non gebrot, whatever that means) made with potato starch and eggs which is
GF...makes the best "matzah" balls.  You have to buy it yesterday, because
it sells out very quickly in your kosher butcher shop or supermarket that
carries kosher for passover foods.  I stock up for a few years at a time
and store the unopened boxes in the freezer.  Also Kedem make gefilte fish
without matzah meal  that is GF and I stock up on that too.

I just saw your post.  last year I found something called Knaidel Mix by
Lieber's.  I found it in a Kosher Supermarket.  It was not in any of our
"regular" supermarkets.  Anyway, it says Kosher for Passover - Non Gebrokts
(contains no Matzo Meal).

May I suggest purchasing the Spice & Spirit Passover cookbook.
(Chabad has two cookbooks, a big purple one for the rest of the year, and
a smaller yellow one for Pesach.)  Since the Lubavitch, like most
Chassidim, keep non-gebrokhts for the first 7 days of Pesach,
practically everything in the cookbook is GF and the recipes are reliable.

Betty Hagman has a recipe in her book The Gluten Free Gourmet Eats Light
and Healthy.  The recipe calls for crushed almonds and cinnamon.

Happy Holidays to all.

Stacey