From:
MissRoben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 10:44:04 -0400

Thanks for all the great suggestions for teething biscuits. Here is what I
received. Please note these are not all necessarily safe for your individual
diet needs. THANKS!

Jay
-------------------------
All teething bisquits I've ever seen have something in them that's off
limits for my son. I've searched high and low...believe me. I've been to
dozens of markets and stores.

I've now found some pure brown rice crackers. The only ingredient is brown
pressed rice. I break them up for my son into smaller pieces. He loves them.
They taste awful from my standpoint, but he LOVES them.

I'll have to check the brand name, but I found them in the cracker section
at Sun Harvest store here in Texas. I'll look at the label and send you the
name.

Elaine
--------------------------------

I once made the sweet potato rolls on pg. 131 of Lisa's book, using tahini
instead of nut butter, and overbaked the first batch -- I think at 350 for
25 minutes. They were thin -- about 1/2" or so. They came out exactly like a
teething biscuit. I used cinnamon.

-Karyn

-------------------------
We used to use frozen mini-bagels, but only under close supervision. You'd
have to assess whether/when they become choking hazards and take them away
prior...

Our kids lived through this, and we weren't 100% vigilant - guess we were
lucky!

Mark Feblowitz

--------------------------
Instead of biscuits, use something salted (ok, non- iodized salt, for
corn-free). My Dentist neighbor suggested salt or an antihistamine
(liquid benedryl) to take away the pain. The salt reduces swelling. The
antihistamine blocks the histamine released from swollen/broken cells.
------------------

I used one that was dairy and wheat free.  It was made from oat & soy
flours and molasses.  They are from Healthy Times.   They were K-D, but
they claimed to be dairy free (they had another variety that had dairy in
it).  I gave my box away and couldn't remember what they were, so I did a
search on Whole Foods web site and found them there.  Here is the
ingredients as listed there:
Organically Grown Whole Oat Flour, Organically Grown Whole Soy Flour,
Organic Unsulphered Molasses, Organic Cold Pressed Safflower Oil, Organic
Maple Flavor.

We gave up on teething buscuits bc they were just such a mess.  I'd have a
molasses flavored kid from head to toe!  And a high chair that needed a bath
too.  We just prefered the water filled toys that you could refrigerate.

Kathy P.
----------------------
I think the Health Valley Rice Bran crackers work well for teething....I
know they're wheat and gluten free; uncertain about what else they might be
"free of".

Lynn
------------------------
Something that I regularly have customers purchase to use for teething
biscuits is vanilla biscottti.  Depending on who you buy from, they will
normally be made with vanilla,rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch,
sometimes xanthan gum or guar gum, oil and eggs in gf format.  They tend to
be an inexpensive alternative to the GF teething biscuits that are out
there, and hold up well in sealed dry storage. Ours use all of the above
ingredients except guar gum ( we use no guar due to its laxative qualities),
and the oil we use is canola.  When we ship them, the total cost for 2#
including the shipping is $17, and the cost goes down due to reducing the
shipping cost with more.  There may also be some alternatives in your area.
Good luck, and hopefully this will help you,
Paul Kelty, Mr. Ritt's Bakery

----------------------
Rudolph's bakery makes an 100% rye bread (no other ingredient!) that is
excellent.  It can be cut into strips and toasted/allowed to dry or frozen.
My kids love it.

---------------
There is a rye cracker that is available.  I think Teresa posted once about
it.  I don't think it is Rye Crisp (has corn in it) but another brand, rye
only and maybe they could be used as teething biscuits.

Lynda

Addendum to this post: Wasa makes a gluten-free one (but it DOES have corn
and will soon have dairy). Jay
I have also made a wheat, egg,, corn, soy, dairy free "cake" that I have
then sliced into "fingers" and baked into zwieback.  Sweeter and very yummy.
My son couldn't get enough of it.  Let me know if anyone wants the recipe.
Kirsten