From:
"Richard L. Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard L. Paul
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 2004 09:43:45 -0500

Thanks to all who have expressed interest in hearing my Celiac documentary,
"Gut Reaction."  A lot of folks have written asking, "How can I get them to
play it on my station?"

This is actually something you can take a role in making happen.

As I mentioned, Public Radio program directors make their own decisions
about whether or not to carry a program (it's not like TV where if
something's on CBS, all the CBS stations carry it).  Sometimes it helps if
people who want to hear a show let the station's decision-maker know that
the community has an interest in a particular show.

I suggest you get together people from the Celiac Community and have them
get in touch with your local public radio station's program director.  To
get his or her name, go to the station's web site (usually the "call
letters" followed by .org -- like wxyz.org) and there'll be a link that says
"about us" or "contact" or something like that where his or her name will be
listed.  I have also been told that CSA may soon be posting something on
their website that will help you learn who the program director of your
local public radio station is.

It's best if folks reach the program director directly, not leave a message
on the listener-comment line and not send an email to the listener-comment
email box.

When your folks contact the program director, tell him or her that you want
the station to play the show "Gut Reaction."  Don't have folks say "You have
to do this."  Just, "We want you to know that there's a community here that
thinks this is important."

It is vitally important to emphasize that Celiac Disease effects 1-in-133
Americans, though only 1-in-4,700 are ever diagnosed.  And immediately after
saying that, remind them of public radio's public service mission.  Tell
them that it would be an enormous public service to notify the undiagnosed
Celiacs in their listening audience.  This point should be made strongly.

Tell them that there will be a satellite feed of the show on January 7th and
that the show is available right now via PRX (the Public Radio Exchange).
Tell them that if they're not a member of PRX, they can get the show at this
web site -     rlpaulproductions.com/interviews

Tell them that she show is "newscast compatible" and that is has breaks at
20 and 40 (they will know what that means and they will consider it
important).

But EMPHASIZE the public service value of getting the word out to
undiagnosed Celiacs.  That will be the real drive-it-home point.

If they ask how you found out about the show, mention how "wired-together"
we Celiacs are -- how we share information with each other by email and so
forth because doctors still know so little about the disease.  You might
suggest that because there is a large Celiac Community in their area,
there's the chance that you could work together with the station on other
get-the-word-out projects.  Maybe if they have a daily talk show, people
could come on and talk about CD.  Something like that.

Anyway, I hope you can get folks together to get the word out.

Thanks,
Richard Paul
rlpaulproductions, LLC