From:
Darlene Vincent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Vincent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:14:20 -0400

08/02/04

Hello Everyone,

I'm considering having genetic DNA testing for celiac disease.

I've been gluten free for about 15 years now. My response to the gluten free
diet was so good and none of my doctors were familiar with Celiac disease,
at the time of my 'diagnosis', 15 yrs ago, I didn't have a biopsy of the
small intestine.

Apparently, my GF diet is indeed successful and my antigen blood tests (3)
have all come back negative.

Gluten still makes me quite ill. Going back on gluten diet for biopsies is
not an option.

So is there any point in getting the DNA test?

I was considering it, but when I found out that it costs $300, I decided to
give it more thought. At this price, I would like my insurance company to
pay for it. But then I'm somewhat concerned to have an official celiac
disease diagnosis on my medical records, in the event of loss of my current
insurance and I'll need to apply for new insurance.

I'm also want some assurance that the genetics lab I select is experienced
with this test and the results are valid. I found Kimball genetics in Denver
Colorado on the web. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance. if you post directly to me, you'll get a message from
Earthlink that Spamblocker blocked your message. Don't worry I will still
get your message via webmail.

Vincent