From:
Beth Kubly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 97 15:37:46 EST

Hello all-
    I'm concerned about my eighty-year-old mom's digestive system. For
about the past two years she has had little appetite and when she does eat,
she has diarrhea one-and-a-half to two hours later.  Then she's not hungry
again. Finally, when she is hungry, she eats and  the whole cycle begins
again.  She's lost a lot of weight and is now just under 100 pounds (she's
5'4").
    She's been to both her regular doctor (who is a rheumatologist and a
dud) and he did tests for some things, e.g. cancer.  He referred her to a
Gastroenterologist who did a blood test for celiac, which indicated she
does not have it (as I do) and has had her taking citruscel, pepto-bismal,
lomotil, immodiam. . . .  She has been eating lots of rice and yogurt to
address the problem too.  Nothing seems to be working.
     I might add, that the past couple of years have been tough on my mom.
She had my dying father at home and this was a stress. He passed away in
June '96.  Then her sister--her only sibling-- died suddenly and very
unexpectedly at the beginning of November '96. Finally, her best friend
passed away at the end of December.  And she's in Wisconsin, where it's
cold and gloomy.
     Now that you know the story, can anyone think of what this might be?
She's now complaining of a pain in her lower left bowel region.  If it's
not celiac, what are some of the other disorders/conditions this might be?
IBS?? Colitis? Spastic colon?   WHAT ABOUT DEPRESSION?? Could depression
manifest this way?? Would something like Wellbutin help? Does any of this
sound familiar to anyone out there?  I know I should be asking the doctors,
but I'm at a loss for something to suggest to them (other than "get a
clue"). Anybody have any suggestions for me?
    Any and all suggestions are welcome.     Thanks!

     Beth Kubly  in central Pennsylvania     [log in to unmask]