Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 18:44:43 +0000

Summary Enterolab
I originally wrote that I was thinking of having allergy testing, celiac testing by York or Enterolab.  I asked if there are any reasons why one lab or the other would be preferable.  I have had all the usual labs done a couple of times but they were all negative since I was already gluten free.
The responses are as follows:
1.  Many people who have used Enterolab for celiac testing and all have been pleased with the results  they received including members of my own family.
2.  I was diagnosed by blood test and went on a gluten free diet for one year.  MD  didn't want to do an endoscopy.  Feeling worse after one year.  I then went to the Celiac Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in Boston.  This perrson refused the 8 week gluten challenge.  MD did tests for genetic markers.  This person did not have the markers so MD decided couldn't possibly have celiac disease.  Met with the dietician and was given a number for out of state lab that does food sensitivity testing.  Signet Diagnostic Corporation (food testing lab), Riviera Beach Florida.  Jan Pateraude, RD.  866-230-7232 (toll free)  www.nowleap.com.  Site gives general idea of what they do, but you can call for more info.
Depending on insurance, may or may not be covered, but MS. Pateraude can find out for you if you want to persue this.
They don't do gluten intolerance testing so if you are just looking for a confirmation of the celiac diagnosis, this wouldn't be the place.  You can request a celiac gene blood test from your physician if you don't want to do the gluten challenge.
This person had not had the food sensitivity tests yet so had no comment on the lab.
3.  Enterolab test is a stool sample test for antibodies.  My daughter was very sick and 2 months off gluten but still got a low positive from Enterolab.
4.  If you want to test for gluten sensitivity use Enterolab as there is good evidence that antibodies form in the gut way before they get into the blood from the gut.  If you are wanting proof of an antibody reaction to gluten or fecal malabsorption then you need Enterolab.  Antibody tests will be positive 1 to 2 years after starting a gf diet according to Dr. Fine.  Being IgA deficient will affect antibody tests at Enterolab.
5.  York tests will give you information about IgG reactions to foods but if you are not eating the food it will probably be negative.  This person found out that she was very reactive to yeast and egg white and mildly reactive to turkey and vanilla through York.  She knew about the yeast before the test but wanted to find out other hidden sensitivities.  Although these tests are not accepted by many doctors, they were right on for this person and helped this person regain good health.
6.  Person ordered York test but did not get the kit for several weeks even though deducted on credit card-after several calls cancelled the order and it took several more weeks to credit charge account.
7.  Enterolab quite accurate for several members of this family and York missed it by miles for this person.
8.  How about IMMCO Diagnostics in Buffalo 1-800-537-8378
To be continued-
From Robin in Massachusetts