From:
Norman & Linda Smotony <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:02:10 -0700

Hello all,

I posted the following query a few days ago regarding accidental gluten
ingestion by someone who has been following a GF LF diet:

"...if one goes GF for period of time, and experiences an improvement, will
the accidental ingestion of such a small amount of gluten cause the awful
symptoms to come back with such a vengeance?  Is this a typical experience
others have had?"

I received 51  responses from fellow listmates to my question.  I wanted
to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to answer and to be
so supportive.

To my amazement, at least 50 of you responded that "YES",  what my
husband experienced was a typical reaction and to be expected with the
accidental ingestion of gluten.  1 of you thought his problem was more of an
allergic reaction rather than celiac disease.  The majority of you  agreed
that while the condition is undiagnosed and the body is being dosed with
gluten every day, the symptoms are "chronic" or maybe non-existent.
However, after eating GF for a period of time, when gluten is ingested, the
symptoms are usually much much worse.  Most of you also cautioned that
reactions will be highly variable and individualistic.

Most of you said the effects  last from a few days to a week or so, and you
reported a variety of symptoms including pain, nausea,vomiting, diarrhea,
fatigue, cramping, depression, migraine and mouth ulcers.  So many of you
replied in similar ways that my husband and I were quite encouraged, that we
are at least becoming somewhat able to deal with this! I can't thank you all
enough.

As for mitigating the symptoms once gluten is ingested, here is what you
suggested:

1 person suggested fresh garlic to control the yeast overgrowth.

1 person suggested one capsule of L-glutamine along Probiotics to help heal
the gut, with each meal.

3 persons suggested Vetratrum Alb 30C to help with the symptoms.

1 person suggested papaya enzyme to stop diarrhea.

1 person suggested large amounts of water, ripe bananas and rest.

1 person uses metamucil to help with the diarrhea.

My own suggestion is activated charcoal capsules, which seem to help my
husbands symptoms of diarrhea and cramping.

I hope this summary is helpful to all...Linda