From:
Lisa Mandl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Mandl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:23:23 -0600

I had a great experience this afternoon at the Golden Chef in Wheeling.
My weight loss group had our annual holiday luncheon there today and I
didn't think I'd be able to eat much, if anything.  I called yesterday
and spoke with Esther Moy (she and husband Wally are the chefs and
owners).  I started with my usual pitch of just allergies and quickly
got the sense she fully understood what I was talking about and said I
had Celiac Disease.

She is a nutritionist and fully understands our disease and told me
stories about how she has made food for Celiac groups (I'm curious which
ones go there because I'd be interested in joining them) and even for a
man who comes from as far as downtown and buys in bulk.

The words that got me though were egg rolls.  When she said she could
make me egg rolls, that she uses rice wrappers, I could barely contain
my excitement (it's been about 6 years since I've had an egg roll and
I've missed them).

I arrived at the restaurant today with my group and Esther came to speak
with me personally.  Esther brought me soup, the egg rolls and a chicken
and vegetable dish and I thoroughly enjoyed everything.  I was told the
tea was safe, the sweet and sour sauce (yes, I said that - she makes it
and the vinegar is rice vinegar).  Needless to say, I bought quite a bit
to take home (especially more egg rolls :-) ).

So I highly recommend this restaurant.  One other major point I'd like
to bring up is that if any of the Chicago area Celiac groups might be
interested, Esther also runs cooking classes and then a meal is served.
She is willing to run a gluten-free cooking class and then serve dinner
afterwards.  I think this would be a great outing for anyone interested
in enjoying Cantonese and Szechwan cuisine.  I know Jenny Price runs the
MetroCeliacs group, but I misplaced her email address and I will contact
Renee Euler who runs the Chicago chapter of CSA, but if there are any
other Chicago area Celiac groups I'm forgetting, please contact me, I'll
give you more info and hopefully something can be arranged.

I have absolutely no financial interest in this restaurant (although,
with all the money I'll be spending there...), just had a wonderful
experience for someone who's incredibly reactive to even the smallest
traces of gluten.

Golden Chef
Cantonese & Szechwan Restaurant
Wally & Esther Moy (chefs and owners)