From:
Hot Head <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 06:17:29 -0500

Hello group!

I am writing to find out if I am the only one out there who seems to
be intolerant of flours derived from beans.  In particular, navy bean
or pinto bean flours.  (Chickpea flour does not seem to cause me the
same distress.)

In any case, whenever I eat these flours I get sicker than gluten
could ever make me!  I have finally pinned the reaction down to these
flours, after eating a variety of GF baked foods that ultimately make
me ill.  Many of Bob's Red Mill mixes include these flours -- and,
since these come from their GF facility, I have to figure that I'm
not getting "gluten-ized."

I do *not* have similar reactions to eating whole, cooked beans --
whether kidney beans, white beans or black beans -- from cans or made
from dry at home.  This only happens with the bean FLOURS.

Could it be some kind of cross-contamination that happens to bean
flours?  Or is there something in these types of beans that some
people can be sensitive to, separate from gluten?  I know that some
people have a reaction to fava beans -- but I never eat anything made
from these, and also think that condition is among men only (and that
I am not).

Thanks for any insights or common shared ground on this one!