From:
Tami L Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 21:55:09 -0400

Janet White posted a suggestion about medical bracelets. My four-year-old son
wears one at all times. I feel there may come a time when adults, not just
doctors, but also police officers or substitute teachers, etc, etc, would need
to know about his condition without my being there to tell them. My son is very
aware of having celiac disease, but I find that adults often don't believe him
or ignore him. The bracelet will make them at least think twice before giving
him something to eat and/or open their ears to what my son is telling them. I
also find it helps some people take the disease more seriously (I've heard the
"so what, he's not going to die" more often than I'd like).

As far as adults wearing the bracelets goes:  I think it's a great idea.
It doesn't cost much to get a medical bracelet or necklace, nor are they
uncomfortable to wear. It might save many unwanted headaches (or should I
say stomachaches) in the future.

Tami

Tami Powell
East Lansing, MI