Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 05:22:51 -0700

Hearing someone say that gluten-free is just a trend scares me. I have hypoglycemia and must avoid sugar and remain on a low-carb diet to control my blood sugar (on top of all the celiac stuff). Back when low-carb was a "fad," it was extremely easy to find products I could eat. Unfortunately, that "fad" has passed and it seems next to impossible to find anything low-carb (and the South Beach or the specific carbohydrate diets do not cut it for me). Even the cook books seem to have dissappeared. At first I was a little baffled by this dip in availability because those are the types of foods that diabetics should be on, but I have since discovered that virtually no diabetics really follow the diet even if they are "using diet to control their blood sugar." (If there are any diabetics reading this, I do not mean any offense. This is just what I have heard from diabetics I know and on other lists.)

I am not worried about finding/eating "gluten-free" if the diet joins fad status. I personally think it would be much easier to eat out and find products if this is the case. What worries me is if/when that fad passes. Hopefully, there has been enough awareness of celiac disease and the gluten-free diet (not as fad) that this will never be the case.

One glimmer of hope on the low-carb front, the latest studies (as reported on CBS a few days ago) say that the Low-Carb and Mediterranean Diets are the best for weight loss and cholesterol management.

My best to all.
Angela Taylor