Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 14:09:25 -0500

Thanks to everyone who replied!  Below is the summary:

1) Old Town is great.  The restaurants there are mostly Mexican easy to figure out what we could have.
2) There are two Whole Foods Markets in San Diego. One is in a neighborhood called Hillcrest/Uptown which is not too far from downtown San Diego and would be the closest to Old Town. There is another one in La Jolla, which is north of Old Town.
Hash House A Go Go www.hashhouseagogo.com.  We ate breakfast there twice.
3)There are some local markets that have some gluten-free foods. One local chain is called Henry's Marketplace. There is another chain of two health food stores called Jimbo's. There is another chain of stores in California called Trader Joe's. They are not technically a health food store but carry many fresh and natural foods items. They even have a pamphlet in their stores listing their gluten-free foods although it's a bit out of date. They are located throughout San Diego so you could ask your hotel to recommend the closest one.
Here are some Celiac-friendly places in San Diego:
1. In-n-Out Burgers -- fast-food -- order the "protein-style" burger, which comes wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun. The sauce is GF, as are fries.  EXCELLENT burgers, even by Texas standards. ***We loved this one!!  We very very rarely eat 'fast-food' we went back for seconds!!
2. Tony Roma's (national chain) -- they have a list of their GF foods. 800/286-7662
3. Outback Steakhouse (national chain -- kid-friendly) -- they have a list of GF menu items. 813/282-1225.
4. Chevy's (regional chain -- kid-friendly) -- they don't have a list of GF items, but they "get it" when you call and ask. You need to check each individual restaurant, though, because they each do things differently.  800/4-chevys
5. El Pollo Loco (regional chain -- kid-friendly -- fast food, but very fresh and good) -- most of their items are GF. 949/399-2000
6. Because of our proximity to the border, you'll find lots of Mexican restaurants -- the more authentic, the safer (and better), since most Mexican food is GF (except, of course, flour tortillas, and other obvious no-no's). You're usually safe with the shredded chicken or beef in a corn
tortilla, beans, Spanish rice. Beware of the enchilada sauce, although usually it's safe too. The Spanish word for "flour" is "harina" (don't pronounce the "h") -- the word for wheat is "trigo." If you say "no harina" or "no trigo," they usually understand what you mean.
7. Because of our proximity to the Pacific Ocean, you'll find great seafood restaurants. Most restaurants here grill the seafood in a very light sauce -- usually GF. You can always request that it be drizzled with butter and grilled.

Lorraine in Massachusetts