From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 2011 12:20:03 -0400

I recommend the newest edition of Outsmart Diabetes by Prevention Magazine  at the supermarket checkout lane.  These books come out periodically or seasonally. This one is marked, "sell until 12/20/11.  I have found their previous editions really helpful, especially being introduced to a diabetes frame of mind.  (low carb, low glycemic, etc.), but this one has the most recipes I see myself using.  I don't know about you, but typically, the magazines I find at the check out lanes are not all that great for gf, without major modifications.  This one happened to be a find.  (Whole Foods and Wegmans carry gf magazines and cookbooks.)

Also, this one has some very good suggestions for losing weight....which I find work.

It has a white cover with pink on top, and it's the size of a trade paperback, rather than a magazine, but it's sold with the magazines.  Be aware that it is $9.99, so you may want to look for it at a discount store in the magazine section, but I picked it up at Shop-Rite.

Some of the recipes I'm hoping to make are.....
Cheese & Pepper Frittata,
Chickpea and cherry frittata
Baked (brown) rice and raisin pudding with flaxseed
Kidney Bean and Beef Chili, without the sour cream
Spinach Salad with Almond Encrusted Chicken (uses corn starch)
Grilled Beef & Arugula salad
Autumn harvest minestrone
Porobello Caps with Chile Polenta & Cheese  (Ready-made polenta in the frig aisle.  I've found gf ones.)
Wild Salmon with creamy avocado Sauce
Mediterranean cod with tomato pesto
Lime chicken with lentils and dried fruit  (I just bought a Dutch oven.)
Vegetable Paella (no shrimp)
Autumn Fruit Crisp
There are other desserts, but I'm not a dessert person.

Prevention Magazine should send me a commission!!!   Just kidding.  I truly have no connection to the company.  But I braved the slippery sleet and snow (in October! in New Jersey!)  to run out to the supermarket, and it was fun to happen upon this magazine. Snowy days make me want to cook.

Lin