From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 1995 13:06:07 -0500

Sure wish I had access to a Dr.  Fasano.  I have clipped a part of the
Sprue-nik press:

  Dr. Fasano showed a picture of the classic, undiagnosed celiac: a
  child with thin limbs and bulging stomach.  The child was lethargic
  and had all the classic symptoms.  He said with modern health care you
  don't see this kind of case anymore; it doesn't (and shouldn't) get
  that far.  Long before that point is reached, the patient would have
  complained of diarrhea and other symptoms, and a diagnosis would have
  been made.

This is what my child made it to before he was diagnosed.  He went thru 3
doctors before he go the one to do the biopsy.  #1 doctor was a GP who
did all the remove milk from the diet, check blood, urine and stool.  He
then referred Cody to a pediatrician.  Cody at this point, was only
throwing up every 2-3 days and had loose stools.  #2 doctor did more
blood and urine and stools and found that he had whatever bacteria in his
intestine/stomach due to having too many antibiotics it was now running
rampant.  Ordered a ultrasound to check for tumors and abnormalities of
the gut area.  Ordered a very expensive medication.  round 1 of
medication didn't do anything so ordered another round of same med.  Cody
at this point was the lethargic, whiny, bloated, thin-limbed child and
getting worse.  So I checked around and asked for another ped.  #3 doctor
took the history and more blood, scheduled a sweat test to rule out
Cystic Fibrosis, since he thought it was Celiac and arranged an
appointment with the GI pediatrician.  I still had to keep Cody on
regular food for another 2 weeks.  That was torture, since the GI was
positive it was "classic Celiac".  The day of his test, when I brought
him home I started the GF diet and boy did he make a come-back.  I took
him to doctor #1 - early Sept.  his biopsy was mid Feb.  almost 6 mths to
diagnose him.  How can the public get educated.  I knew nothing about CD
and could not find a common denominator in the foods I was giving him.  I
knew it had to be a gut problem for him to be throwing up like that and
losing the weight he was, but I was relying on the doctors to help me.

Sorry to be so long-winded but my son suffered for 6 mths, and my other
two children suffered as well because Cody needed so much care during
that time, they ended up being somewhat neglected.  I also believe there
was no need for this to happend but we all don't have access to doctors
that have any idea about this disease.  When I informed our GP of the
diagnosis, it was his first case of CD, and he has been practicing for at
least 10 years.

Thanks for listening.

karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada