From:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:04:37 -0600

Earlier today there was a posting about Sami's  Bakery possibly misleading
people to think that their products are  gluten-free and safe for celiac
consumption.  I asked GIG Executive Director Cynthia Kupper's opinion, and
this is what she told me.

Anne Barfield, San Antonio

The post mentioned  earlier today was forwarded to me and I have a concern
about it.  I noticed that the information provided is a year old. (testing
was done in 2/07)  I can't tell from the post why it might have been posted
again at this time, so I checked out Samis website, then called and talked
to the owner. Nowhere on the website does it state that the products are
marketed as gluten-free. The owner also states that they do not make any
gluten-free claims about their products.

So my concern here is this, if the products are not marketed as gluten-free
and someone is considering using them, they should ask appropriate questions
about the products and contamination before buying them.  If they do, they
would know not to buy them. When I told the owner who I was and whom I
represented, he immediately said "not gluten free". (maybe they changed what
they were doing in the past year).

I think we must be very careful how we post this type of information. This
company is doing nothing wrong if they are not making a claim of being
gluten-free. We must investigate potential products and make our final
decisions about using them.  However, GIG recognizes that this is not always
easy and that is one reason we have programs like the Gluten-Free Restaurant
Awareness Program ( <outbind://47/www.glutenfreerestaurants.org>
www.glutenfreerestaurants.org) and the Gluten-Free Certification
Organization ( <outbind://47/www.GFCO.org> www.GFCO.org ).  Through these
programs we work directly with the food and hospitality industries to
improve their ability to meet the needs of gluten free consumers.

Cynthia Kupper, RD

Executive Director

Gluten Intolerance Group of North America

31214 - 124 Ave SE, Auburn WA 98092

P: 253-833-6655, ext. 104; F: 253-833-6675 Main website:
<outbind://47/www.GLUTEN.net> www.GLUTEN.net Gluten Free Certification